ORGANIZATIONAL BACKGROUND

The Cerebral Palsy Association of Colorado Springs was formed by a group of parents and friends of persons with CP in 1947 and was officially established on October 6, 1948. The purpose of this group was to procure proper treatment and education for persons with CP in this community. In 1961 the United Cerebral Palsy Association of Colorado Springs became a member of Pikes Peak United Way as a community fund partner and has remained a member ever since.
 
In 1971 the agency became an affiliated member of the Health Association, now known as Pikes Peak Partnership. In 1985, as often occurs between national and local organizations, the UCPA decided to disaffiliate from its national organization and became the Cerebral Palsy Association of Colorado Springs (CPACS) as we know it today. Effective July 1, 2003 CPACS separated from Pikes Peak partnership and became an independent agency dedicated to service for individuals with CP and related neuro-motor disorders.